Sustainable Practitioner Certificate Overview
This interactive training course is perfect for those event professionals who are looking to become leaders in the industry and develop their career around sustainability. The course is designed to guide participants through the basics of sustainability and provide them with the knowledge and confidence needed to start taking practical actions each day. For those who are already implementing sustainable practices, this course is ideal for advancing knowledge and creating more of a focus. This 4 hour in-depth course also covers the ISO 20212 international event standard, an essential tool in an increasingly sustainability conscious industry.
On completion of the course participants will be awarded with an electronic certificate, Positive Impact’s globally recognised Sustainability Supporter Recognition Stamp, and they will also be featured in Positive Impact’s newsletter announcing the achievement to their global community.
This program has been created by Positive Impact, a global recognised not-for-profit which exists to create a fully sustainable event industry. As managing director, Fiona Pelham chaired the creation of ISO 20121, led the development of GRI EOSS and in 2014 received an honorary doctorate for Leeds Beckett University for her contribution to creating a sustainable event industry. As a global leader, Positive impact collaborates with numerous experts and academic institutions across the globe and is continually developing the content of this program so it is relevant and in line with industry trends.
The Sustainability Practitioner Certification is ideal for those meeting professionals wanting to start their sustainability journey, as well as those professionals who are already implementing sustainable practices but want to do more. It will enable participants to not only learn the theory and meaning behind sustainability, but also applies best practice examples and provides real life examples. This unique feature will enable participants to overcome the challenges that many events professionals face when implementing sustainable practices. It focuses on the positive outcomes that sustainability brings, but also equips participants with the skills and expertise needed to adapt to new situations. MPI is a CMP Preferred Provider so the course has met the criteria to be pre-approved for CMP certification or recertification credit.
The main objectives of this program are to:
- Have a solid understanding of the business case for implementing sustainability. This is a vital starting point as it will provide participants with the skills required to set up teams and achieve top management buy in within the business.
- Participants will recognise the unique terminologies for sustainability. This will enhance your skills for communicating the essential information that teams, management and suppliers need to know about sustainability.
- Participants will learn about the significant issues of sustainability that are relevant for the event industry. This content has been created by experts in the field and includes interviews from former heads of sustainability for the Olympic and Paralympic Games to experts in global carbon footprinting.
- Participants have a sound understanding of the ISO 20121 framework and GRI EOSS reporting system, which are both globally recognised event industry standards. They will also know the basic next steps to take in order to become certificated or create a GRI EOSS report.
- Participants will have both the knowledge and confidence to start implementing sustainable practice at their events every day.
Registration and payment is required prior to attending any SPC course. Once you select the course you would like to attend, you can register. The information and details you provide during the registration process will be used to create your certificate and to keep you updated on important information related to your SMP certificate.
Participants are requested to purchase an event sustainability template for use before, during and after the training. This template provides everything required to implement ISO 20121 and report on one event according to the GRI EOSS guidelines. The cost of the template is approximately $1,500. It is not a requirement and can be purchased after the course is taken. The SPC does not have a test and there is no “pass/fail”. The focus of the course is on education of event sustainability and understanding how to implement sustainability options within your events.
Why should I get a Sustainable Practitioner Certificate?
Receipt of the Sustainable Practitioner Certificate demonstrates that the holder understands the importance of sustainability in the meeting and event industry and knows how to implement globally recognized standards.
How do I receive a Sustainable Practitioner Certificate?
Registration and payment is required prior to attending any SMP course. Once you select the course you would like to attend, you can register.
How much time do I need to be away from the office?
The Sustainable Practitioner Certificate course is designed for working adults and can be completed in four hours.
What is the format of the class?
The class is four hours and will include interactive activities.
How do I purchase class reference materials?
There is no class reference material required to take the course. However, we do recommend that you purchase an event sustainability template for use before, during and after the training. This template provides everything required to implement ISO 20121 and report on one event according to the GRI EOSS guidelines. The cost of this template is approximately $1,500. It is an option to purchase this template after the course.